Tuesday 20 November 2012

Newspaper Journalist

Greetings to everyone. My name is Noel and I have been working as a newspaper journalist for almost nine years of my 32 years of life. I have lived all my life in New York City and I presently work for the New York Times, which I get paid $20.18 per hour. As a newspaper journalist, people expect from me to write clear and understandable articles of present events such as news. Everyday, I write newspaper articles on life events that occurred the day before. This sometimes creates and causes stress or pressure due to the fact of finishing an article in time before the deadline. However, the advantage of being a newspaper journalist is that I get the chance to work at home occasionally. 



I realized I wanted to be a newspaper journalist when I was 15 years old. It was my father who introduced me to this job, since himself, he was a writer. My dad would show me once in a while the basics of a newspaper journalist, which got me. Further in time, I got more and more fascinated by this job which eventually became a passion. 

Beforehand, after finishing high school, I went four years in an accrediting college of council and education in journalism & mass communications and earned my bachelor of arts. At school, I had to work really hard in order to obtain a job as a newspaper journalist since there was a lot of other students who wanted this job.   During my education, I would write several articles in my school's newspaper, blogs and in a small local newspaper. With time, I gained more and more experience and with my dad giving me advice, I finally got my first job in a small sports magazine. 

As a newspaper writer, you are responsible to inform yourself on what you will be talking about. Have accurate facts and data, which means you have to do research. Also, occasionally you'll have to interview people or go to conferences, which will then require note taking and recording. However, as a newspaper journalist, the main job you have to accomplish is to write stories, entries or new article.



Being a newspaper journalist might seem easy to become, but on the contrary, it is quite hard. To be an excellent writer, you must be word and people smart, since you're job is to write articles and stories and since you have to work with others and sometimes do interviews. You also have to obtain different skills, such as being creative and having a great deal of inspiration, being an excellent writer, making your point clear and not turn around in circles, as well as being open-minded when people criticize your writing. But last but not least, you have to have confidence in you and in your writing, or it will show in it which will affect your writings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment